As was combining my notes from multiple places recently, I found two that seemed like a perfect match.
The first note is from the business fable The Five Dysfunctions of a Team published in early 2000s. The dysfunctions are:
- Absence of trust
- Fear of conflict
- Lack of commitment
- Avoidance of accountability
- Inattention to results
The second note is from Google’s research about what makes a successful Google team. The research was conducted more than a decade after the fable. Here are the five keys to a successful team:
- Psychological safety: Can we take risks on this team without feeling insecure or embarrassed?
- Dependability: Can we count on each other to do high quality work on time?
- Structure & clarity: Are goals, roles, and execution plans on our team clear?
- Meaning of work: Are we working on something that is personally important for each of us?
- Impact of work: Do we fundamentally believe that the work we’re doing matters?